Saturday, November 17, 2012

Hello Dar es Salaam!!!


Nov 11, 2012
Well I’m at again, traveling to some remote place and staying for an extended time. But I so love to do it. I’m currently traveling at 539m/hour at 39000 feet as I’m getting ready to land in Kilimanjaro airport, we let a few off, pick up a few and on to Dar es Salaam Tanzania where I will be spending the next few months.

I’m working on the Tanzania 21st Century Education Project. This is a USAID funded project and my responsibility will be to prepare equipment for about 900 schools, that include, 900 access points and network devices, 4500 laptop PCs, and several types of servers. The first phase is training teams to image and setup the equipment. Then we’ll have an extensive 2 week installation training class. That should take me to the holiday break, afterwards I’ll be back to support the 15 installation teams. Current plan is to be done around mid-February. Most of the installs will be on the islands of Zanzibar and the district of Mtwara (in the very southern point of Tanzania). So expect to see some great sites. Many of the installs will also require solar power, so the teams will install the solar, batteries, and power invertere. The places that have grid power will get battery backup systems to have a more consistent power source.


I’ll be staying in Dar es Salaam at the Slipaway Apartments for the first several weeks, it’s along the water and a short ride to our warehouse. I’ll send pictures soon.

Preparing for this trip was a bit more stressful as there were several delays in my departure date. I was first expected to be in country on Sept 1 it slipped to Nov 10. My house is now up for sale. Big thanks to our neighbors the O’Neil’s for taking care of Indie the dog during my absence. They are the owners of Indie’s BFF Koda, they will have a great time together. Thank You!!!

The night before leaving, we thought it would be a good idea to transition Indie to go to the neighbors, I was frantically doing last minute packing, cleaning for a weekend open house and getting all my stuff ready. As I drop him off many of my neighbors were waiting for a surprise going-away party. It was great, I was totally surprised. I was still in my moving/cleaning clothes. But stayed around for some drinks and cake, thank you neighbors!

I’m now sitting for one hour on the ground in Kilimanjaro, waiting to head to Dar. On my KLM flight they have a camera mounted in the front of the plane on the landing gear. I’m guessing most planes have this, but KLM broadcasts it to all our in-seat screens, super cool.

At around 1am I arrived at my new apartment to find three major cockroaches sharing my room. Three quick flip-flop chops and they were gone. I left them there to show the others I was not kidding around and there IS a new sheriff in town. Sadly, I found out I get daily maid service and they had to clean them, sorry.


Nov 12
Today was the first day in the warehouse, a Palestinian co-worker Sylvester picked us up in his Toyota diesel pickup and we ran across town to the warehouse.

The warehouse is this huge building with thousands of dollars of laptops, network equipment, and solar and power equipment. I started working on imaging some of the laptops. Shortly after I arrived a team of 12 guys show up. I’ll be teaching them how to configure and install the equipment over the next 1-2 months. They seem really fun. The warehouse is not air conditioned, in fact the fans barely work. It’s easily over 100 degrees in there and we have not turned on all the equipment yet, arggg. I asked the warehouse person for some thermometers, first thought was to monitor our equipment, but really for bragging rights. I figure I’ll be losing some weight again this trip much like Haiti, when I get back I’m writing a friggin diet book. Why not make some money on these projects.


We battled several issues and left for a conference call, we decided to do it by out apartment because we did not have to sit in the 7pm traffic after the call and we could also drink. Hello Kilimanjaro beer!!! Before the call I decided to stop to get a sim card for my phone. What a mess, still can’t get it to work, this shit should be so much easier now, but it’s not. Went back home after beers and dinner and had another call and started to write my blog.

 Nov 15
After a few days in the warehouse we are getting the bugs worked out. They are all showing up at my house, hahaha.  We have some pretty good flows with all the teams, we have 20+ working in the warehouse so the coordination and keeping people busy will be a challenge. The warehouse is getting hotter as we put more lines into production, I now truly know what a sweat shop is all about. Got a call from Apple yesterday, they asked if we could build some iphones for them, hahaha. But really, we are moving along, it’s tough work but everyone seems to be working well.

I have not seen much of Dar yet except my ride to and from the warehouse, the warehouse, and my apartment. Yesterday we got home at 7pm so we could go the grocery store before it closed. Four cokes, three bottles of Kilimanjaro beer and large bottle of water. Guess I’ll need to shop for food this weekend. As sweatshops require, looks like we are working on Sat this week.

I’m getting into a routine, wake up early, check my email, watch some BBC news, oatmeal and tea, then off to work. Coming home, stop and get a beer or two, something to eat, conference call with the US, then watch BBC news. Living the glamorous life.

About our TV, we have over 40 stations, but as you go through it’s the same four channels over and over again, but I do get BBC News, that rocks. I’ll have to find someplace to get my college football fix this weekend.

I have a shower in my bathroom, its pretty small. The issue is the shower curtain does not go far enough down, so the water hits the bottom and splashes on the floor. Each morning I leave with a rather large puddle. So they have decided instead installing a longer shower curtain, they leave more towels I can use on the floor.

Nov 16
Was at the local grocery store today and found my world’s most favorite juice, Ceres “Secrets of the Valley” it has Apple, Cherry and Black Currant, I discovered it while in Haiti and totally love it. To quote Zombieland rule number 32, “enjoy the little things”.

So the grocery across the street is pretty interesting, seems to be catering to tourist/business people in the area. It has four isles, one is dedicated to alcohol. While at the store getting some more of my favorite juice and a few more bottles of Kilimanjaro beer, the power goes out. This is a somewhat normal, you can tell because the checkout lines all have battery backups and continue to work. So you can still buy your beer and food with the power out. The bad news is unless you’re finished and or right up to the front of the store it’s pretty dark. I usually have a head lamp in my bag, but with that being at home I pull out my smartphone, start the flashlight app, the app turns you camera flash into a flashlight, and off I go finishing my shopping.

The team in the warehouse has been doing a great job, we are supposed to image 120 laptops a day, yesterday we did 500. There is a man that rides through the warehouse area on his cooler equipped bicycle selling ice cream. I was outside talking to one of my co-workers and decided everyone was working really hard today so we stopped him, checked out his selection and bought ice cream for the whole group working in the warehouse, we bought almost his whole days allotment. I’ll bet everyday he stops by our offices again, and he has.


I’m trying to make working more enjoyable for the team, little things like ice cream and music can really help. I told the group on Monday to bring in some music, I would procure a set of speakers to play music, we have 1000 sets in the warehouse. Over the next few days, no music, I told them that would have to settle for MY music if they did not bring their own. So I got the speakers, took my iphone running spotify and started playing music. After a few minutes people were asking my about spotify. If you don’t know it’s a product like Pandora (which I really like, but the dumbasses at Pandora won’t let it work in “this” country for some dumbass reason) that you can pick an artist or type of music and it will play music in that genre. So I asked them what kind of music they wanted, I heard jazz or rock, so I set it up and left. I come back a few minutes later and I’m hearing this crazy hip hop, they had figured out spotify and changed to what they wanted. The team totally loved it and you could see an immediate rise in happiness with the team. Today, we have a visit from some senior members of USAID, they want to see the imaging process. I may have to change back to some “Ken” music for a very short period of time until they leave.

Nov 17
Woke up and did not have to go to work today. We were planning on working on Sat, but because of the great work from the team this week we decided to give everyone Sat off. I got up, talked to Brynna, hadn’t done that all week, then went for a walk, it’s a great area here, a peninsula and friendly people. Came home, found a local organic bakery, bought some fresh bread and some lemongrass/lime jam, it was awesome.

I have to fly to Mtwara next Sunday to do a priority install. Some high level people wanted to see an installed school. But nobody  is trained yet on the install, so they are sending the trainer. It can’t be any hotter than the warehouse, I hope.

Next week – go back on the Ken Stober Sweatshop Diet™

No comments:

Post a Comment