Sunday, January 20, 2013

Gone off to Uganda

I arrived in Uganda, first trip to Uganda for me, on Monday Jan 7. Took Uganda Air from Dar es Salaam to Entebbe Uganda. The flight is only 1.5 hours and you fly over Lake Victoria, the world’s second largest lake. Number 1 is Lake Superior, up by my home town of Minnesota. 

In Entebbe I'm behind two much larger planes, so it took forever to get out of the immigration. I was met by the owner of our local partner, we drove the 45 minutes to their Kampala office where I was updated on the program and the challenges we face.

The new program is called Internet Now, funded by Oxfam. The project places containers in the rural areas of Northern Uganda. The containers have several computers inside and are powered by solar and connected to the internet. Another partner, Samasource, http://samasource.org/ does micro-projects. This SF based company contracts with large corporations to off source some of the companies work, I’m learning more about their business model. The local Ugandans come to these containers to do the work and get paid. My job is to help get the internet to each of these sites, I will be here for about 3-4 weeks.

They picked Gulu because it was one of the hardest hit locations during the years of Idi Amin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idi_Amin and the recent LRA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Resistance_Army mess. This area has seen more than its share of terror, rapes, child abductions, machete attacks, and brutal killings. I can’t imagine how rough it has been. When you look into the eyes of people from Gulu you can sense the pain, the difference between the people in Kampala and Gulu makes them seem they are from different parts of the world. Several times I have seen an Invisible Children NGO truck drive by, they have an office in Gulu, they did the video Kony 2012. http://invisiblechildren.com/kony/

I arrived in Gulu on Friday Jan 11, after spending several days in Kampala. We had to wait for the truck to get back from the shop, the engine had been blown on the last trip back from Gulu. Trying to get a mechanic to give you a date or time when the truck would be ready is a crapshoot. “It will be there at noon”, we thought on tues, little did we know it would be 4pm on thurs. Off we went on a 340km drive. The first 200kms are relatively nice, flat, smooth. Then the road, gets smaller, rougher, pot-holed filled, baboon running in front of the truck, large truck driving in your lane, Nile River crossing type of road. I was actually a bit scared on this trip. But I learned this is nothing, wait until you hear about the trip up North the next week.

Gulu is considered a “frontier” town. I think in the future I’m going to get a clear understand what the heck “frontier” means. This is a transit town, this means all the trucks going from Kamapala to Juba South Sudan come through this town, and not through this town, right past the apartment I’m staying. There are no tourist things here in Gulu, just a pass through to go to other parks. But because of the bad history, there are many NGO’s and some NGO hangouts. This means young westerners who come here to work or volunteer in variously funded projects.

Main traffic circle in town

So I got to town on Friday, our apartment is on the south end of town, (N02.75040, E032.30410). The first Saturday I walked the 2+kms into town to look around. I notice most people are walking, on motorbikes (boda -boda), or riding bikes. In town I notice the local bike shop. They have one speed and the semi-mountain bikes. For the one-speeds, there is the Uganda Roadmaster King, an Indian version of the same, and a Chinese version. The Roadmaster King cost 210,000 Uganda Shillings (UGX). Sunday morning I went back and bought one. I had to wait about an hour while the mechanic made it road worthy. Off I ride into the heart of Gulu on my new Roadmaster King to many interesting stares, and call of “Mzungu” which means white guy.

My new bike is a one speed, weighs about 50lbs, with a 40 spoke rear wheel and 32 spoke front one. The brake cables are solid metal, and I have this sweet ringer on the front.




One day last week I thought I would head south, on my bike, to check out the area. This turned into a 20km bike ride, meeting many locals and getting tons of stares and laughter. I also heard the phrase Mzungu many times. At one point I rode and talked in great length my new friend Francisco. On the way back, I was starting to feel added resistance, thinking that it was the heavy bike and the hills, I stopped and realized I had a flat tire. I was able to pump it with my bike pump to get me to the next town where there was a “fundi” or mechanic. As I waited for him to fix the tire I got to talk to the locals. They asked where I was from and why I was out riding this heavy bike when I could have one that is lighter and with gears, I just shrugged. Tire was fixed, 1000 UGX and I’m off again.



If you have not looked it up already, the US Dollar to Shilling is about 2700UGX to 1USD. So my bike cost $78USD, the tire repair cost 37 cents.

A side story about Haiti this week
Last year I spent three months in Haiti, one school I visited stuck out more than any other location. This was the Institution Maranatha, an orphanage which I wrote about in my blog.

One was the Institution Maranatha which is a rural school, what I did not know until I arrived it was a local orphanage. As I got out of the car with my tools I heard wonderful music coming from the second floor. I delayed my site survey to go check it out. I found several of the kids practicing a dance number with others playing some instruments, for the second time on this trip I was in stopped in total amazement. This is why I’m in Haiti.

Many times as we installed school computer labs some of the local kids would want to help, I usually asked them to help and assigned small tasks. One young man at the Maranatha installation asked me a lot of questions and was very helpful. Before I left he asked for my email address. About once a month we would exchange emails. Last week I got a very disturbing email from him, two children in the village had recently died of Cholera, one being his cousin. He asked if I would please help his village. I asked him if others were sick and what the community was doing. I was told six more were sick and there were no local clinics, the closest was in Cap Haitian, but no one could afford the moto ride into town.

I started to email all my contacts in Haiti and anyone who knew Haiti. I got a message from one of the medical organizations in North Haiti, they in turn got me in contact with Dr Maklin of the Haiti Mission of PUMC. They run a traveling clinic supported by US volunteer doctors and nurses. They were able to send doctors to the village the next day. Haiti Mission of PUMC’s medical director is Dr Ford who built the Maranatha school and actually knew my young friend. What a small and strangely connected world. I will be donating to Dr Fords organization that helps the orphanage and provides medical care. I usually don’t ask, but if you want to support an amazing group of people and an amazing project this is the one.

Robert Ford Haitian Orphanage/School Foundation
http://www.fordhaitianorphanage.org/

Back to Gulu
On Wednesday I needed to go to Northern Uganda to check on some potential sites, where we do site surveys that include gps coordinates, pictures, and videos that we send to the other teams involved. We left the house at 6am and headed out of Gulu on this rough dusty road. As I mentioned, I thought the ride up to Gulu was a bit fast, that was nothing. We’re driving 110-120km/hour on dirt roads. I thought this was one of the legs of the Dakar race. We would honk when we would see people, goats, chickens, etc. and they would scramble out of the way quickly, they knew that everyone drives crazy and fast on this road. Since this is the road to South Sudan we would also come across big semis. Would anyone slow down, no, they fly past each other at record speeds. I will always be sitting in the back holding my lucky coins, we leave again on Monday.

We crossed the West Nile River on a really cool ferry where we continued on and did our site surveys. Then we Dakar raced back to Gulu. This trip took us 4kms from the South Sudan border.


Protection at the ferry crossing
Gulu town
Around the apartment there several small local communities, throughout the day the people would go to the local wells to fill up water. This is mostly the job of the young girls/women in the community. I’m amazed how they balance the water on their heads. They can even bend down to pick other things up without spilling a drop.


There is a family that takes care of the house, they have three young children. The two youngest are the gate openers and closers when the trucks come in and out of the compound. They are so cute.

My in-house security

There is also a house dog Layla.



My apartment -- I'm on the top floor, best for hearing ALL the road noises

View from my room of the village across the street

Next week back into field to check on some more sites, with a visit from some of the Inveneo staff the following week.  


No comments:

Post a Comment