Saturday, January 5, 2013

Happy New Year, welcome 2013!!!


Happy New Year
I started writing this on December 31st the last day of 2013. I've been spending the last week or so in India visiting with my family in India. Earlier posts to this blog talk about my trip to India in 2011 and staying in Delhi. More on India later…

First phase of my work in Tanzania finished around Dec 20. We imaged over 4500 computers and thousands of communication devices and servers. The next part was training 24 ICT (Information and Communication Technology) people on the equipment that included how to install, test, and troubleshoot.

The training took place in the same warehouse we did the imaging. The only difference was it got hotter. One day I recorded 99 degrees, with 50% humidity, that comes out to about a 118 degree heat index working from 9am-5pm, it was brutal. That night I sat in my air conditioned room for 2 hours before I stopped sweating. The next day I moved the classroom part of the instruction to an air conditioned boardroom and had the lab in the warehouse.

I will be back in early 2013 to start my next phase which includes going into the field with the 24 trained people to support and check on the installations. Hopefully no more warehouse work!

2012
2012 was a good travel year. In February I left for Panama where I embarked on Operation Reckless Cobra. Turning 50 this year I decided to do something stupid, reckless, and immature. So I went to a small island 90 miles south of Florida to see the sights, listen to awesome music, drink a bunch of Rum, and have a cigar, and travel around in 1950’s cars, it was a great experience. I returned back to Panama where one of my friends who worked at Inveneo asked me to come to Haiti to help on a project, Inveneo manages the rural internet backbone and installed computers in remote schools, of course I said sure. At the time I did not realize this project would launch me back into a role in network and computer engineering and send my back to Africa. You can read more about Haiti in my past blogs.

I spent three months in Haiti and got back in July, just in time for fireworks and the start of 75 days of sun and no rain. On my return I was asked by Inveneo if I would like to go to Tanzania for a few months to work on another project, once again I said yes. It took a few months, but now I’m in Tanzania.

On a down note, 2012 was the final year of my marriage to Yvette. Yvette has recently moved to Beijing China for a job with Microsoft and I wish her great success. On Jan 7, 2013 the house will close, which will make me homeless, but in a good way. Not sure where I will be moving when I return to the U.S. after this project.

Christmas and New Year in India                                                           
During the holidays no one was working on the Tanzania project so instead of going to the US, I decided to head back to India. and stay with my Indian family, Mama, Papa, Hanumant and Divya (and their kids). It was a great time. The first weekend was Mama and Papa’s 50th wedding anniversary party. A party of over 100+ people, great time, great people and Indian food. I was able to catch up with many I had not seen since my visit to India in 2011.

Mama and Papa at the party, 50 years

Divya and Ken


After the party it was off in the car to Rajasthan India in a Chevrolet Tavera, three in the front, three in the middle and 2 in the bag with a bunch of luggage strapped to the roof. First stop was Alwar, it was only 160km away, but took about 5 hours, we were using Bing maps because I had an unlocked windows phone, what a crazy drive on some really interesting roads, but we got to see parts of India no tourist (or most Indians) ever see. When we got to the hotel the road in front was under construction, we had to drive over a large sinking dirt pile to get into the hotel, but we made it.

The next morning, Christmas morning, it was off to Sariska Tiger Reseve. We all jumped into a cantor, no relation to Eric. This is a large open vehicle with high clearance and 4 wheel drive. The road is really rough, dirt and filled with pot holes. There are also small low clearance Suzuki’s going on the same road. Our driver was a maniac and drove fast honking and passing all these vehicles and kicking up some major dirt. I thought how are we ever going to see animals, when we asked the driver to stop he seemed to drive faster. Then I learned you drive to the temple in the middle of the park, take a break and go see the animals on the way back. Wish I knew that before we left. We spent an hour at the temple, and another 30 minutes trying to find our truck in the mayhem. We were then off on our way. The cantor can hold 20 people so we were with two other families. One of the fathers was fascinated with my sunglasses and asked to borrow them so he could have a picture with my sunglasses, he was now my new best friend.

Riding in the Cantor, my new best friend is in the white


The sunset over the lake in the reserve
We than took advantage of the off road part of the cantor and headed into the reserve. Sadly, we did not get to see any tigers, but we did see prints in the road of some of the big cats. Guess a 20 person big diesel truck with loud people is not what the animals want to come out to see. I thought about strapping one of the kids on the side as tiger bait, but heard a few objections so I abandoned my efforts.

Christmas
In India you don't see a lot of signs of Christmas, few lights, decorations, and NO Christmas commercials and sales. But at the hotel we were staying they decided to take it up a notch by putting up a xmas tree and having Santa visit. As you can see in the picture, Santa is not a big jolly man here, but a very thin Indian man wearing a suit and a face mask that you would expect to see in the Walking Dead. If I was scared of Santa, I’m sure these kids will be naughty the rest of the year so he will not come back to visit. So Santa gives out these clicker toys, kind of like the ones you use to train dogs. So we’re eating dinner and all you can hear is click, click, click. I was ready to go have a word with Santa and take away his toys. But at the end, I just gave my clicker to one of the kids and told them to go crazy with it on their car ride home, Merry Christmas.


The next morning we headed out to the beautiful Pink city of Jaipur. This along with Delhi and Agra (home of the Taj) make up the “golden triangle”. Don’t worry this is not the opium golden triangle, but the India tourist golden triangle.

Jaipur is home of the King of Rajasthan and has some of the most amazing palaces and forts in the world. They built these forts to protect the royal family and the King. Good news is they did not need them much since they partnered rather than fought over the years and things were mostly peaceful.

The next day was off to the City Palace http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Palace,_Jaipur. This is where the current King lives and we could tell by the flags he was in the palace. I wanted to ask for an audience, but I’m sure I would have gotten the response of “Ken who?”, so I decided just to be a tourist. We then went up the winding road to see the largest cannon in India, it was at a fort called Jaigarth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaigarh_Fort. Jaigarth sits high on the mountains with a great view of the area and we were shown around by one of the royal guides. Since it was close to sunset so the views were outstanding.




The next morning we went to Amer Fort http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amer_Fort, this is the biggie and is shared by a secret passage with the much higher Jaigarth Fort. So if the King was over run he and the family could escape to the higher and more secure Jaigarth Fort. 



Jaipur is great city with its history, palaces, and forts. It also has camels and elephants that roam the streets. The camels are used to transport goods and services between companies. The elephants are mostly used around Amer to shuttle people to the fort entrance, but they make some big messes on the road. There are monkeys all over too.




By the end of the day we were Palace and Fort exhausted, so time to head back to Delhi. Everyone told us that this would be a 3 hour drive, cool back by 5pm for some Kingfisher. We got home closer to 8:30 that night after a demanding drive that included several diversions and I shouting match with some local Rajasthan police officers.

So maybe it’s time to better explain myself about the Rajasthan police, since I got to meet them on 6 different times in a 48 hour period. Let me give you some background first. We are driving around in a Chevy Tavera, a truck that is used a lot as a taxi. The Tavera belongs to one of Hanumant’s friends, he uses it for his business and he loaned it to us for the trip, thank you Tarun! Then you have Hanumant driving, Ken is the navigator (that is a story all by itself) and Hanumant’s son Kedar sitting between us. Since it is a bench seat there is only one seat belt for Kedar and me, so we are sharing.

The first time we get pulled over is in the city of Jaipur because I’m not wearing my seat belt, I was. I happened to have the chest strap under my outside arm because of my navigating and Kedar had been pulling on it, but the lap belt was always on, Hanumant 1, cops 0. A few minutes later we get pulled over for running a red light. This was harder to get out of, but technically it was not red. So after a somewhat heated exchange and threats to take away the car we used the ole excuse “the kids are sick and need to poop”, we were again on our way. Hanumant 2, Cops 0. Were stopped a few more times for seat belts and such but never got a ticket. On the way to Amer Fort we once again get pulled over, this time the cop thought Hanumant was a taxi (Delhi license plates, Indian driver and 2 white guys in the front seat, luggage on the roof), when Hanumant shows him a Washington State driver’s license, the cop was embarrassed and turned to going through our paperwork with a fine tooth comb, nothing, Hanumant 5, Cops 0. Finally, on our way back to Delhi, three guys on a motor bike were being asses. We honked, which everyone does in India, they slammed on the brakes, we almost hit them and had some choice words about their behavior. They continued to be a pain and we had to go around them somewhat aggressively, the cops pulled us over, WTF, guess they did not see the moto’s actions. With the moto behind us we immediately and loudly in both English(me) and Hindi(Hanumant) begin to yell at the cops telling them it was them not us. In the meantime the moto gets away and the cop not wanting to deal with the two of us yelling at him sends us our ways. Hanumant 6, Cops 0.

We spent the rest of the holiday in India visiting with friends, shopping, cooking/eating (I learned to cook a killer mutton on the BBQ for new years) and just hanging around. Oh, maybe a few kingfishers too.


I once again found my most favorite Ice Cream in the world, Mother Dairy Chocolate. I tasted it for the first time in early 2011 in my first visit to India and immediately fell in love with this ice cream. What is great about traveling is you get to find these really cool things and great tastes you can’t get in the US. It makes the tough times of traveling so much more enjoyable, thank you Mother Dairy.



Ken’s commentary:
While I was in Delhi there was a story of a 23-year-old female student that was brutally gang raped and left for dead, she lived, I’m sure in a great deal of pain, for several days. If she would have died, I’m guessing it would have been a 3rd page story and nothing would have changed. But she lived and the brutality of what these 6 men did to her is beyond what I though any human is capable and the story got out to the people. This started a large protest in the city of Delhi and across all of India. I’m sure many of you have heard about this story. It, rightly so, shut down major portions of Delhi. She died several days later after being flown to Singapore for treatment. I truly hope her life and suffering do not go to waste and that we see some changes in India, tougher rape laws, and around the world on the treatment of women, it’s needed.

Its’ now Jan 4, I’m back in Dar es Salaam, sitting at the local food and beer hangout having a beer and kebab. I learned last night they want me to go to Uganda on Monday morning to work on a different Inveneo project, I’m really excited. Since my project in Tanzania is once again in delay it made no sense to fly back to the US. So I leave for Kampala on Monday, will be there a few days, then up to Gulu, in the north by Sudan to work on this project, project should be a few weeks. I hope the delays are over when I get back. 

Next report will be from Uganda...

No comments:

Post a Comment